Ok … it’s Give Away Day today.
I’ve joined in with Sew Mama Sew’s Give Away Day.
. I decided to enter only a few days ago and given that I haven’t made the kids Christmas Stockings yet nor started on sewing up some gifts for them I’ve limited this to something that shouldn’t have taken me long to sew up. The reality was something a little different. I wasn’t happy with version one and two of the make-up purse so here you have version three (the puau-blue purse to the back of the picture)
I’ve also added a coin purse. The front of the purse is Sleeping Beauty from Heather Ross’s Far Far Away II Collection. The sleeping beauty fabric is my favourite (along with the owl and the pussy cat) from this collection.
The back of the purse is made from hand-woven Harris Tweed in a very deep sea green colour. I imagine that originally the length of Harris tweed was destined for a kilt jacket until it found its way into my stash where it is being spread far and wide as I incorporate it into various projects. Each time I use a piece I imagine a small white-haired woman sitting in her croft overlooking the sea, working away at her loom after an already full day of work that was necessary to keep her family fed and clothed. It is my gran that I can picture as she was one of many traditional weavers from the Isle of Harris, Scotland. Although this length of Harris tweed is a modern piece (I can see a roll of it here) it has still been hand-woven (though finished off in a factory) and is very precious to me, a part of my heritage and culture which has now been lost to me. It is sewn it into my projects with aroha (love) and it will be a sad day for me when I’ve used the last piece.
Now about the Give Away.
- It opens from 13th December.
- Closes on the 17th of December
- Drawn by randomn.org
- I will post internationally. (Another reason for keeping it flat and small)
- Posted on the 20th December. (Sorry I really don’t think this will arrive to you before Christmas. Postal services in New Zealand are slow at this time of the year and I would imagine that other countries have a similar pattern)
- To be in the draw is easy. Just write a comment on this post.
- Now head on over to Sew Mama Sew `and check out the list of all who are giving something away this week. I’ll be entering a few draws…not sure that I will have the time to enter them all … still gifts to make.